Tuesday 15 April 2008

The final stripdown to nuts and bolts

This was the final stage of the engine disassembly. I dismantled the rear hub, brakes and clutch, then split the casings. This was followed by pulling apart the gears and xmas tree, and removed the piston for scrubbing. Everything then got scrubbed in petrol, including both casing halves in order to clean up the system. When I'd drained the gearbox oil before it was a nasty brown-black colour. I hope that By doing this cleaning to avoid that in future. I also chipped all of the carbon off of the piston and cylinder. On closer inspection of the cylinder head, I found that it had been painted badly in black paint, so I stripped this off with more Nitromores. I am now in the process of rebuilding the engine, replacing all of the old gaskets, oil seals, circlips and nuts with new and shiney ones. I also have bought a new set of sports clutch plates, springs and a pair of sports (grooved) rear brake shoes so that the engine shouldn't need a rebuild for a long long time.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,
I am shreyas, and i write from India. I have a PL 170 too, stock condition. I am looking to bring a little more life to it. I happened to come across your blog, and i must say - it is truly impressive!

Cheers!
Shreyas

shreyasmailgmail.com

Wave said...

Great website Mr. Cross. I'm interested in seeing the final version of your bike. I have a boyfriend that is in the process of restoring a vespa as well. Any tips on books or resources to use to help him on his way?